Sunday, December 4, 2011

Republic Chophouse Restaurant Review in Green Bay, WI

ByPatricia Summerfield

For dinner I stopped in Republic Chophouse which is a fine dining restaurant located in downtown Green Bay. It is an elegant upscale restaurant which is designed in a contemporary style. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The rich colors of chocolate browns and gold fill the place. As you walk in, there is a large bar with cocktail tables and with a few cozy enclosed areas in the lounge area. To the right is the dining area where there are comfortable booths for more of a private atmosphere. For a more open setting there are tables towards the front. They also have towards the back of the bar a glass enclosed private room for larger parties.

As I walked in the host asked me if I would like for him to take my coat and hang it up for me, and then he proceeded to sit me at a booth with a menu and informed me of my server's name for the evening. My server came, introduced himself and brought me a glass of ice water. He asked if I would like a cocktail first before ordering; I ordered a glass of their house cabernet wine. After bringing my wine, which was a 6 ounce pour, he informed me of their specials. After perusing the menu I decided on ordering their 7 ounce flat iron steak for $30.00 which includes your choice of a either a garden salad or a cup of their du jour soup. I chose the salad. My server then brought a plate with three 2 ounce containers of whipped spreads for the bread basket. They were red pepper, cheddar cheese, and butter. The bread basket contained small slices of ciabatta, multigrain and white pretzel bread sticks. The breads were very fresh and tasted delicious with the different creamy spreads. My salad was served to me next and it consisted of mixed dark greens, with a red onion ring, tomatoes and cucumber. The salad was nicely chilled and very fresh. Soon after my entrée was served, it was presented on a white rectangular plate with a sprig of fresh rosemary off to the side of my steak. The 7 ounce flat iron steak was carved out of bone and prepared with a rosemary and wild mushroom ragout, finished with white truffle oil drizzle and fresh shaved parmesan cheese on top. It looked very appetizing but I noticed I did not have a steak knife. My server quickly brought me one. The sauce on the steak was the most stand out feature of this dish. The intertwined seasonings gave it an ambrosial flavor. The meat was semi tender of texture.

My server throughout the meal was pleasant and polite but I was surprised and annoyed when I received my bill. My house glass of wine cost $13.00 which is extremely pricey for a house brand even by large metropolitan city standards. I questioned my server on the price of my wine and he informed me that they carry two house wines, one is priced at $9.00 and the other for $13.00, and when someone orders the house wine they automatically get served the much higher priced one. I feel that this type of practice, for any type of establishment, is not forthcoming or in good faith to their patrons. So I am giving you the heads up when ordering your cocktails at Republic Chophouse.

Patricia Summerfield is the resident restaurant critic for GreenBayNightLife.com, an online dining and entertainment guide in the Green Bay area. She has over thirty years of experience in the food and retail industry having worked with entrepreneurs, small businesses, and large company chains with mass production. She has a thorough working knowledge of restaurants and bars given her years of service in various capacities such as waitress, cook, hostess, bartender, and manager.

Green Bay Restaurant Reviews
Green Bay Restaurant/Bar Reviews

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment